Monday, April 12, 2010

300 G3: Speared

Branded one of the games to watch of this year's league, 300 met newcomers Spearhead on the 3rd of April.

Newcomers or not, never underestimate your opponents.

Both sides came out at full force in the first 10 minutes, so much so that it seemed end-to-end.

300 drew first blood when they took full advantage of a free hit. Taken by Sonia, Marcus shot, but just as it was about to fly wide, Kyle poked it in for his fourth of the campaign.

Not long after, Spearhead's captain, Daniel Boey took advantage of their own free hit and 300's unorganised defending. All square now.

300 had plenty of chances to reclaim the lead but were often playing out of position and rather clumsily, committing silly mistakes.

Spearhead took the lead before half time when Eric Wong was left unmarked in front of 300's goal and took advantage to slot in. 2-1 to Spearhead. A demoralising blow, the goal was (Yoda, much?) as 300 went downhill from there.

Fred was hit by a 2 minute penalty a minute later for incorrect distance. 300 had to hold on with 4 people for the remaining of the half and a couple minutes into the second.

And just as Fred's penalty ended, 300 were back with 5 players and ready to get back into the game, Nick Toong was given a penalty for a header. (really? didn't you think it was more ball to head?..anyway.) Down to four, 300 played mostly in their own half as the ball could barely travel pass the half way line before it was intercepted by one of the Spearheads(Spearheaders?).

But Spearheads's advantage lasted only so long as one of their players was given a penalty for obstruction (more penalties than goals at this point). So the ball was going back and forth again and 300 picked up the pace as time went on, desperately trying to get the ball in the back of the net but failed.

And all of a sudden, 300 found themselves down to 3 players when Sonia and Marcus were given penalties only seconds apart. 5 vs 3, Kuan Yang threw in Nick, Ray Gan and Tristan during the power play. Spearheads' numbers and size advantage proved too much to handle and they made it 3-1.

Seconds after the time-out, Daniel Boey scored again to make it 4-1 and the game virtually out of 300's sight. Nick served his second bench penalty for lying play in the final minute. It was like rubbing salt into wounds. However, 300 displayed a never-say-die-even though-300-were- kinda-like-dead attitude when Sachin provided for Walson for 300's consolation in the last seconds.

Final score: 2-4 to Spearhead.

Although 300 were outmuscled by much bigger opponents, they still played as a unit and rallied around eachother after all the bench penalties and silly mistakes.

Man of the Match Award went to unsung captain Ray Gan for keeping his cool and tireless defending (pictures please, Kuan Yang)

No once in a lifetime can of isotonic drink this time though as it wasn't anyone's birthday. Maybe one for Kuan Yang, for all those heart attacks 300 might have caused him at such a young age. :)

After the game, the Spartans and a few 300's took the court for the weekly training.

Next up: 300 vs Trailblazers

No comments: