Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Coach Jason's Floorball Journey

*Life as a floorballer is a one which is exciting and full of adventure. I had my thrills and my kicks. This postings will be my diary as a floorballer. Hope that it will give you lots of encouragement in your journey to become a great player(I’m not yet there, but I aspire to be 1)

I was waiting for my sidekick Kuan Yang to car pool with me as we both come from mainland. I dunno what was wrong with him. He was sneezing throughout the whole journey. Must be someone talking behind his back. I hated it so much that I had to open the windows… just in case his germs got to me. If i'm sick you know where it came from.

As soon as I arrived in Dalat school for Penang State Training… cun cun 7pm... Coach Edward arrived. “So.. after this? 5 rounds eh”…keke… sikit lagi he's gonna be late… Aiks. But Edward's always on time. Not easy to catch him off guard. As usual, he responds with the ala “Terminator” smile.

Today’s training was interesting as we got to have 4 Ang Mohs to join us for training all the way from Scandinavia. All of them are taller than me. Towering and big. Like I care…

I find them very friendly. But there's one ang moh who is a little naughty… taught me some Finnish word. HAHAHAHA…

Kuan Yang… the captain… shouted to everyone… to do passing as a warm up drill. BORING… but essential.

We proceeded with a set piece drill that we did last week. I can remember the drill, but it seems that when I am at the court, I can just SUDDENLY forget. I dunno why…

Everything went well. But… the look on Coach Edwards face explained otherwise. The problem that happened most was when the forward ran towards the defender. “YOU ARE WASTING THE DEFENDER!!!” emphasized Coach Edward. “NO POINT IN DOING SO!!!”.

Trouble came even more as we moved on to the next drill. Coach Edward had to say… “HEY GUYS… I need you to be THINKERS la. What is the purpose of the Centre? Where is your timing?"

"The centre’s role is supposed to be creating more options for teammates to pass. Where should you look at? THE BALL… where do you look at? THE BALL… Where? THE BALL!!! Run in as though you are expecting to receive the ball at any time. It’s about being the dummy."

I feel that the drill is a pretty good set piece brilliantly designed by Coach Edward. If only we can do it la…

Match time. I was drawn into a team with Brian, Wai Kit and Henry. Waiting for our turn to play, as usual I watched the seniors from afar. Fast and Furious. Finally as those guys punctured, we came in to replace them. To my surprise… we got to play against the ang mohs team. Wah… finally I got back my kick. True enough… the ang mohs have better passing than us. But we are fitter and faster.

Coach Edward had to burst his lungs by shouting “Where is the RUN? CENTRE CENTRE!!!” Aiks… bila sudah dengar… kita kena sahut. Pantang dicabar la babe…

I ran into the centre. And ran up again. As much as I understood. “YES that’s it… Good run!” exclaimed Coach Edward. I have to confess… I was a little kembang for a moment. Ill get it done more often so that ill hear that more. Haha.

The ang mohs kept giving us a hard time, but there were moments they got kan cheong for a while. I should have scored. I had 2 chances. I must fine tune my shots.

The last round… we didn’t meet the ang mohs. We now played against the seniors. These guys are faster than us because their passes are fast and accurate. I tried to play one to one with Brian, but it didn’t seem to work. But we caught the opponents off guard with a well timed pass by Brian. GOAL !!! Lin Ken came immediately from the goal post(same team) and gave me 5.

Coach Edward rapped it off… saying “I LOVE THE PACE… Keep it up!!!. BUT you need to do the runs like the ones in the drill earlier." I thought to myself… aiks… he must have forgotten the good run I did earlier. Nevermind… next training we do it and show him again.

The most powerful man in PFA, James Looi was then given the stand… and he came and gave us a “VERY INSPIRING SPEECH”… konon.

All clubs… you are to sponsor the boards. IT IS COMPULSORY.

Personally I think, to be fair to PFA, clubs must take ownership of the boards. After all, we’re the ones using them. As Frontliners… we are ready to sponsor it. In fact I was wondering when would they ever collect sponsorship for the board. Let's just help PFA to build floorball. I think it's our responsibility to grow the sport and ensure that we get to play floorball with the best possible facilities. It's all about passion. So let's show our passion with our money as well.

No comments: